Let’s face it – nobody wants to go shopping for new swim shorts. But if you know what you’re looking for, the whole process can be a lot less painless. We’ve hunted down the best men's swim shorts of 2017, so read on to find your next holiday must-have.
Hugo BossStar Fish Swim Shorts£42SHOP NOW
1. Short swim shortsYou'd be forgiven for being a bit scared of this trend, but it's not actually that bad. Prada, Acne and Burberry all sent their models down the runway in short shorts this year, so the look is not going away any time soon. This year, short shorts are loose and cut to mid-thigh level, with more than a hint of late 80s nostalgia thrown in for good measure. Find a pair like these Hugo Boss trunks, which are surprisingly flattering and hit multiple S/S 17 trends.
Paul SmithFrog Print Swim Shorts£99SHOP NOW
2. Luxury swim shortsSome swim shorts are so good that you would never even contemplate getting them anywhere near water. These frog print Paul Smith swim shorts are the epitome of poolside style. The quirky frog print is straight off the catwalk, and the fashion-forward cut just screams 'five-star resort'. Ideal for relaxing on a lounger, ordering cocktails…
3. Plain black swim shortsSometimes, you just want a basic pair of trunks that will take you from the beach to the bar and back again. Every man should have a plain black pair of swim shorts to hand this summer. Wear them with a white t-shirt for an al fresco lunch, or with sliders by the sea. As ever, Topman is your go-to place for affordable basics, and at £16 a pop, there’s no reason not to have a pair of these on standby.
Ted BakerBilko Striped Swim Shorts£60SHOP NOW
4. Pastel swim shortsLike it or not, pastel is the hue of the summer. And it just so happens to look amazing against tanned skin. These Ted Baker swim shorts are subtly stylish, with an almost pinstripe pattern creating the illusion of pastel pink – perfect for guys who don't want to commit to the full pastel trend.
Ralph LaurenPrinted Parrot Swim Shorts£85SHOP NOW
5. Printed swim shortsEvery summer brings with it a new 'it' print. And this year, it's all about imperceptible oddness. Look out for tiny seahorses, anchors, and starfish peppered across otherwise normal swim trunks. We love these Ralph Lauren printed swim shorts, which look ordinary from a distance, and awesome up close.
Bjorn BorgColour Block Swim Shorts£27SHOP NOW
6. Colour block swim shortsColour blocking is a great way to add interest to a plain pair of trunks. Bjorn Borg has nailed the look with these black and yellow swim shorts, which are also available in navy and turquoise if you prefer a more subtle beachwear look.
Tommy HilfigerParadise Flowers Swim Shorts£59.99SHOP NOW
7. Hawaiian print swim shortsExpect to see a lot of Hawaiian print around the pool this summer – these big, bold, colourful prints have been taking the High Street by storm. We love these Tommy Hilfiger trunks as they nod to the trend without going too OTT. Complete the look with a short sleeve white shirt and flip-flops.
8. Sporty swim shortsWild swimming is becoming more and more popular, especially among the sporty set. If your idea of a beach holiday involves doing laps across a mountain lake or snorkelling around the shallows, you should definitely invest in a pair of sporty swim shorts. Lacoste has been making athletic wear for more than 80 years, so they know a thing or two about creating durable swimwear. These bright red Lacoste trunks will last you summer after summer.