Forget the squeaky black ‘one style fits all’ plimsolls of your school days. There is now a huge array of plimsolls to choose from, whether you are channeling a preppy vibe, going casual, dressing up or looking for something a bit alternative.
Slip-ons are enduringly popular, but this year you can expect to see a lot more lace-ups, as well as hybrid styles such as the super-versatile espadrille plimsoll. Here are just some of the best plimsolls for men for summer 2017...
1. Plain white plimsollsThese Superdry plimsolls sell out almost as soon as they come into stock, and it’s not really much of a surprise - you just can’t go wrong with plain white plimsolls. Wear with shorts, jeans, joggers or chinos, and you will be comfy and on trend all summer long.
Perfect for... just about anything! Just make sure they’re washing machine friendly before you go trekking across the fields
2. Sporty plimsollsFred Perry’s name will forever be associated with tennis shoes, and 81 years after his last Wimbledon win, his brand is still being worn by top players and tennis fans alike. These modern grey Fred Perry trainer plimsolls are suitable for a friendly game on a grass court, but you could just as happily wear them to the pub or the park.
Perfect for... Wimbledon viewing parties
3. Khaki plimsollsForget grey, black and navy - khaki is *the* neutral shade of 2017. It looks great with denim, and can be mixed and matched with similar shades to create an ‘urban safari’ look.
Perfect for... updating your street style
4. Espadrille hybrid plimsollsEspadrilles are the perfect beach shoe, mixing laid-back fashion with natural, breathable fibres. But since the British summertime isn’t exactly full of sunny beach days, it makes sense to combine the lightness of the espadrille with the sturdiness of the plimsoll.
Perfect for... BBQs in the park, or an impromptu trip on a sunny day
5. GumshoesThick, gum-based soles are usually associated with Noir-era detectives, but fast forward a few decades and they have become the next big trend in men’s shoes. Get in early with chunky plimsolls like these stylish suede and gum ‘Ox’ plimsolls from Converse. A proper investment piece – the thick soles will last forever, and the classic black suede fabric means that they won’t age out.
Perfect for... amateur sleuthing or just everyday wear
6. Alternative plimsollsBlack and white checkered plimsolls were huge with the early 00s emo crowd, and they’re now making a comeback. Jared Leto is rarely seen without his, and these checkered Vans have also been spotted on the likes of Justin Bieber, Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa. Even Louis Vuitton has gotten in on the act, with a luxe line of subtly checkered plimsolls, brogues and boots selling out across the world.
Perfect for... band practice
7. Classic lace-upsYou really can’t go wrong with a classic pair of plain white lace-up plimsolls. Ralph Lauren perfected this style way back in the 80s, and it still looks fresh today. Wear with chinos or trousers, and nail the smart-casual look all summer long.
Perfect for... country club casual