It's that time of year again, when the wind takes on a knife-edge quality and a warm winter scarf becomes an essential part of your daily wardrobe.
But when your scarf is an afterthought, it shows. A great scarf will complement your outfit and nod towards the season's hottest trends - while keeping you warm, of course.
This winter, look out for blanket scarves, Mongolian fur and pom poms, as well as traditional check patterns and woolly cable knits.
Whatever your style, read on to find the best women's scarves for 2017…
1. The blanket scarfThe blanket scarf is arguably the biggest trend in winter accessories this year. First spotted on the catwalks of Celine, Dries Van Noten and Marni, these oversized, super-warm scarves have now made their way to the high street. Drape it artfully around your shoulders to make a fashion statement, or wrap it around your neck to keep the cold at bay. This geo-print coloured version by ASOS is unlikely to be mistaken for an actual blanket, but more than delivers in terms of sheer size.
+ Wear with... skinny jeans and a fitted jacket
2. The silk scarfEvery woman should have a 'formal' scarf in her repertoire. This is the kind of scarf that you can wear with a cocktail dress and a tuxedo jacket on a chilly night, without compromising on the glamour. Silk is surprisingly warm, so a silk-mix version is a great choice for festive nights out. Chic, warm and understated – this Ted Baker scarf ticks every box.
+ Wear with... an evening dress
3. The cable knit scarfA good cable knit scarf should be chunky, wide, and extra-long, so that you can practically cocoon yourself inside it. The outsized pattern on this Boohoo scarf adds a modern twist to a winter stalwart. If you don't already have a cable knit scarf in your collection, now is the time to invest.
+ Wear with... a winter mac and cashmere jumper
4. The yellow scarfMustard yellow was the surprise hit of the autumn, and its dominance is set to continue into winter. We love the yellow and grey mix on this checked scarf, which will brighten up gloomy days (and gloomy outfits).
+ Wear with... greys, blacks, and navies
5. The plaid scarfTraditional checked prints never go out of style, as this vintage Barbour scarf proves. Androgynous and versatile, it goes with just about any other colour, without pulling focus from your outfit. What's more, the lambswool and cashmere mix is sure to keep you cosy and warm no matter how cold it gets.
+ Wear with... a boyfriend-fit coat
6. The Mongolian stoleThe Mongolian stole is this year's answer to faux fur. Shaggy and voluminous, it has a certain 'Game of Thrones' appeal, so is sure to keep you warm throughout the long winter.As with most trends, this one was pioneered by Kate Moss, who is rarely seen without her trusty Mongolian fur when she's on a night out. Choose a stole in a similar colour to your favourite coat to add a bit of drama to your silhouette.
+ Wear with... a similarly-coloured overcoat
7. The pom pom scarfPom poms are a fun alternative to tassels or frayed edges, and almost every high street store has hopped onto the trend. We love the way this Mint Velvet scarf combines the classic sophistication of a knitted grey scarf with a quirky pom pom detail. An easy way to add a bit of whimsy to your everyday look.
+ Wear with... an otherwise 'grown up' outfit