‘It’ bags are popular for a reason. The right bag can completely transform an outfit, elevating a plain dress or updating last season’s well worn-in looks.
Unsurprisingly, this year’s spring and summer bag trends have been inspired by sunshine and holidays. Think blue (in any hue), gold and tan, with a few pastel accents in ice-cream colours like pale pink and vanilla.
Functionality is key – after all, your SS 2017 bag should be able to take you from the office to the beach, via the cocktail bar. Look for bags with strong zips, and crossover straps which will allow you to keep your hands free. With this is mind, here is our pick of the eight stand out bags for spring summer 2017...
Michael KorsMercer Dome Satchel£295SHOP NOW
1. Michael Kors Mercer Large Leather Dome SatchelMichael Kors' SS17 show channeled the Cote D'Azur with vibrant shades of blue and tan leather. This sea-blue bag is a modern take on the classic Michael Kors Mercer handbag, and the new dome shape means that it's surprisingly roomy.
Mint VelvetKatie Cross Body Bag£119SHOP NOW
2. Mint Velvet Katie Knotted Cross Body BagEvery woman needs a slouchy cross-body bag to get them through the summer, and this Mint Velvet bag ticks every box. Available in stone or mink, it is elegant with a touch of bohemia and can easily be dressed up or down depending on your outfit.
3. Miley Exotic Leather Clutch BagYou can always count on Ted Baker to produce a stylish clutch bag, and this year is no exception. Amid a stellar collection of floral totes and ladylike Ted Baker handbags in pastels and blues, the Miley clutch stands out for its clean lines and sheer wearability. We particularly love the pale pink version, which is the perfect accessory for the upcoming wedding season.
4. Radley Kennington Large Domed BackpackWith the Kennington, Radley may have just created the most ladylike backpack on the market. Chic and minimalistic, but big enough to transport your tablet from one meeting to the next, it can be slung over your shoulders (the wraparound zip makes it extra secure), or carried like a handbag.
5. Carvela Gabby Gold Cross Body BagIf you're going to a festival this summer, this is the Carvela bag you need to bring with you. The extra-long strap frees up your arms for dancing, and the metallic fabric is easily cleaned if you happen to drop it in a muddy field. What's more, the gold chain and chic shape will bring last year's festival outfit bang up to date.
6. Cos Mesh Market BagMesh is a huge trend for 2017, and this bag is an easy (and cheap) way to incorporate it into your look. This versatile bag can be used as an alternative 'Bag for Life' during your next supermarket trip, or it can be folded up to make a chic clutch for the evening.
7. Nike Premium Azeda BackpackIf your gym bag is starting to look a little tired, this retro Nike backpack could be the answer. Channelling the early 90s with its khaki colours and duffle accents, it is spacious and utilitarian – perfect for action-packed summer plans.
8. Furla Metropolis Mask BagFurla's Metropolis line has had an SS 2017 makeover and the results are incredible. Any one of these bags is likely to become a collector's item, but we particularly love the 'Mask' bag, with its neutral colours and fun patterns.