The gilet has evolved – no longer just a utility piece reserved for outdoor pursuits, the gilet has been remodelled into a host of different styles.
Work the gilet trend in the office or on a night out with these five trend-led gilet looks...
The faded denim gilet
Retro looks come alive with the addition of a faded denim gilet. Check out vintage stores for the real deal, old-school Levi's unisex denim gilets can be customised with patches and pins for added cool factor.
Go for a cropped fitted style or work the boyfriend trend with an oversized denim gilet – branded buttons and distressed detailing add vintage appeal.
Wear yours over a floral ditsy print mini dress with leather sandals for summertime sartorial success.
The longline belted gilet
Longline belted gilets in lightweight fabrics are a stylish alternative to a tailored jacket. Keep it smart and wear a floaty belted gilet over a crisp white shirt and tailored trousers.
This type of gilet also works well over leather look leggings or simple stretch cotton leggings.
The suede gilet
Gilets can be sexy. A longline suede gilet is highly desirable – style it with skinny jeans and high heeled booties.
Tan and black suede gilets add a touch of cowgirl style to evening wear, look out for suede gilets with an open draped waterfall front for added style points. Wear over a sheer tank top with a longline pendant.
The sporty gilet
Quilted or puffy, this is your go-to gilet for creating sporty off-duty looks. Wear this gilet over a long sleeve polo shirt or hoody.
Camo colours and military green are on trend or keep it basic in navy. Style as you please with denim, leggings or cropped jogging bottoms.
For seriously savvy off-duty style try wearing your sporty gilet over overalls or short dungarees.
The faux fur gilet
Make a statement with shaggy faux fur for that 70s vibe or keep it cute and cosy with silky faux fur trims.
Layer over a woollen knit for winter styling or wear your faux fur gilet with a sleeveless tank and retro sunglasses for a healthy dose of hipster-style this season.
Our Top Tips On How To Wear A Gilet
- For a classic vintage look that never goes out of style, pair a faded denim gilet with a ditsy print midi dress and complete the look with gladiator sandals.
- Swap your blazer for a longline gilet in the office and wear with tailored trousers and a crisp white shirt. Add a pair of court shoes to keep your 9 to 5 wardrobe on point.
- Suede gilets layered over sheer tank tops look great worn with skinny jeans and can take your night out outfits to new levels.
- For a sporty ensemble, opt for quilted gilets and style with leggings and a zipped hoodie. A pair of canvas plimsolls is all you need to finish the look.
- If you're prepared to mix things up this winter, a faux fur gilet will give you serious hipster style points while keeping you warm all season long.