If the last time you wore a polo shirt was as part of your school PE kit, it's time to take another look at this elementary menswear piece.
More structured than a t-shirt but still casual enough to be worn off-duty, polo shirts can be dressed up or down. Here are six different was to style a polo shirt.
For winter: Merino wool polo shirt & skinny jeans
SHOP THE LOOK: Knitted Polos | Skinny Jeans | Stan Smith Trainers
A merino wool polo shirt in grey or blue is a style staple for the colder months. The textured appearance adds interest and you’ll be snug as a bug.
Go for a muscle fit and wear yours with black skinny jeans with knee cut-outs and white Adidas Stan Smith's for a smart casual look.
For summer: Stripy polo shirt & chinos
SHOP THE LOOK: Striped Polos | Men's Loafers | Chinos
Nautical stripes and polo shirts are a match made in style heaven. This summery look is great for holidays and Al fresco dining.
Stone or camel chinos will keep things simple on the bottom half, and a pair of brown leather brogues and a matching belt pull the look together.
For the bold: Bright polo shirt & Chinos
SHOP THE LOOK: Pink Polos | Navy Chinos | Hoodies
Inject some colour into an everyday outfit with a Lacoste polo shirt in an optimistic bright shade. An easy going way to style a pink polo shirt is with a grey hoody, navy chinos and grey canvas trainers.
For nights out: print polo shirt & leather jacket
SHOP THE LOOK: Original Penguin Polos | Suede Chukka Boots | Leather Jackets
Inject some individuality with a print polo shirt – ditsy prints, floral prints and tribal prints are fun to experiment with.
Layer up with a cashmere cardigan and leather jacket, or if you prefer, a denim jacket. Dark-wash slim fit jeans and suede chukka boots will complement a creative print.
Smarten up: Long-sleeved polo shirt & blazer
SHOP THE LOOK: Long Sleeve Polos | Blazers | Tailored Trousers
A black or charcoal long sleeve polo shirt is as smart as you're going to get in a polo. Think of it as the step before upgrading to a button-down shirt. Tailored slim-fit trousers and a shiny tassel loafer polish off the look.
Get sporty: classic white polo shirt
SHOP THE LOOK: White Polos | Men's Joggers | Slip Ons
Athleisure and sporty luxe are here to stay. A classic white polo shirt in lightweight jersey is an essential building block. Add some tailored jogging bottoms, slip-ons and a velvet cap to cement the outfit together.
Our Top Tips On How To Wear Polos
- Style a merino wool polo shirt with black skinny jeans in winter for a fashion-forward look that'll also keep you warm. Complete the look with a pair of Stan Smith trainers.
- Striped polos are the perfect way to inject a nautical feel to your summer wardrobe. Wear yours with chino trousers or shorts and brown suede tassel loafers.
- Alternatively, a white polo shirt will go with just about anything and is a style classic that isn't going anywhere soon.
- If you prefer more colour in your wardrobe, opt for a bright pink polo teamed up with navy chinos (or distressed denim on downtime days).
- At the smarter end of the spectrum, dark grey and charcoal long sleeve polo shirts are an office-friendly alternative to your standard work shirt. Tailored trousers and Oxford shoes or loafers are all you need to complete the look.