A statement watch can transform the plainest outfit.
It adds a touch of luxury, or a glimpse of the avant-garde, without overwhelming your entire look.
And in a world of smartphones and FitBits, there's something almost vintage about using a wristwatch to tell the time.
Watches have been making a huge comeback lately, and there has never been more choice for women.
Whether you are shopping for your new 'work' watch, a fashion-forward piece of jewellery, or a portable piece of art, there is something for every style and every budget.
Read on for our essential guide to the best watch brands for women…
1. Daniel WellingtonWith their oversized faces and range of leather straps, Daniel Wellington's watches are instantly recognisable and suitable for every occasion. Look out for limited edition designs that will hold their value over time.
+ Best for... classic watches that can be worn with anything
2. CluseDutch brand Cluse specialises in bohemian, affordable watches in feminine colours and designs. Think moss green leather with rose gold trim and grey marble watch faces with a mesh strap. They look particularly good when layered with lots of delicate bracelets and bangles.
+ Best for... fashion magpies and reformed hippies
+ Best for... the office or the classroom
4. Michael KorsOver the past 15 years, Michael Kors has become one of the most popular brands for women's watches. His signature rose gold bracelet watches have been worn by celebrities such as Kate Hudson, Victoria Beckham, and Halle Berry.
+ Best for... adding some subtle glam to your day-to-day look
5. RosendahlThe brainchild of the famous Rosendahl design house, these watches are strikingly original. A single dot and vertical hand contrast against a primary-coloured background and bright strap. Available in an endless range of colours, these watches are like mini works of art on your wrist.
+ Best for... fans of Mondrian
6. FossilFossil was once known for its bulky, masculine watches, but over the past few years, it has invested heavily in its women’s watch line. The result is a vast collection of bright colours, feminine pastels, and tricked-out smartwatches that are like nothing else on the market.
+ Best for... something completely original
7. GucciGucci watches are not cheap, but they hold their investment like no other. Each season brings a new collection of designs featuring the company's signature green and red stripes and animal logos. Choose something bold and fashion-forward and wear it with confidence.
+ Best for... an investment piece that will stand the test of time
8. CasioThere's a good chance that your first ever watch was a Casio Classic. Now, thanks to the 90s revival, those unisex plastic watches are back in fashion. Wear yours ironically, or upgrade to one of Casio's smart models which are surprisingly durable.
+ Best for... sporty watches that take you back to your misspent youth