The world of fashion owes a lot to Scandinavia. From the clean lines of 90s favourite Day Birger et Mikkelsen to the normcore appeal of those chunky woollen jumpers sported by The Killing's Sarah Lund, Scandi influences can be seen up and down the high street.
In fact, Swedish brand H&M has dominated the affordable fashion scene for decades, while its offshoot & Other Stories has won over celebrity fans and Insta-stylists alike.
But we're much more excited about the new breed of Scandi designers who are just starting to get the recognition they deserve. Read on for the six best Scandinavian fashion brands you need to know right now…
1. Moss CopenhagenThis Danish brand is famous for its luxurious knits and quirky accessories (think leather mittens and logo headbands), as well as its feminine suits and choppy dresses. Each piece feels and looks a lot more expensive than it really is.
+ Best for: knitwear and minimalist separates
2. Acne StudiosFamed for its punky leather jackets and chic ankle boots, Sweden's Acne Studios has a dedicated cult following of fashionistas from around the world. These pieces are not cheap, but they're so well made that they will last for years – the iconic 'Pistol' boots have been a fashion editor favourite ever since they were launched in 2009. Invest now and wear forever.
+ Best for: modern leather
3. Baum und PferdgartenThis brand is as fun to wear as it is to say out loud. Specialising in original prints and patterns, it is Denmark's answer to Marni, but with an edgier aesthetic. Classic tailoring is updated with peplums, frills and clashing prints, and pretty dresses are toughened up with cut-out details and asymmetric hemlines. The perfect brand for women who like their clothes to reflect their personality.
+ Best for: clashing prints
4. Samsoe & SamsoeOriginally launched as a jewellery store, Samsoe & Samsoe has gradually expanded into accessories, knitwear, menswear and womenswear. It is one of those rare brands where you can buy gender fluid basics, such as the perfect slouchy tee, or fitted polo shirt. This is Scandi minimalism at its best.
+ Best for: the ultimate tee or trench coat
5. HOPE StockholmAn under the radar brand which has won a cult following among fashionistas. It is typically Scandinavian, with mixed proportions, high quality fabrics and a muted colour palate. HOPE prides itself on its functional designs, making this a great everyday brand that combines comfort and style.
+ Best for: oversized knits and statement coats
6. Filippa KOne of the top names in Scandi fashion, Filippa K has been dressing women since 1993. This brand is all about fine tailoring, and specialises in beautifully cut suits, trousers and blazers. It has also made headlines for its unique take on the Scandinavian love of sustainability. All items are made from natural fibres, and everything comes with a '10 years of care' guarantee, during which time all items can be cleaned and repaired. Used clothing can be returned for a voucher and sold on at one of the brand's second hand stores, and more expensive items can be rented instead of bought.
+ Best for: stylish workwear with a conscience