True style is all about the details. The freshly polished shoes; the perfect tie; the coordinated pocket square; and – of course – the cufflinks.
Cufflinks say a lot about a man. They are a way to express your unique sense of style, or show off an enviable collection of couture, without spending a huge amount of money. Classic cufflinks represent elegance and refinement. Quirky cufflinks show that you aren't afraid to stand out from the crowd.
Here are ten of our favourite brands for cufflinks – no matter what look you're going for...
1. Paul SmithPaul Smith specialises in fun, unique cufflinks. Each season, a new range of quirky styles is unveiled, from enamelled buttons to gold-etched racing cars, and even stripy pencils. A great way to show off your personality, even when you're wearing your most generic suit.
2. Simon CarterFun, arty and affordable, Simon Carter cufflinks look a lot more expensive than they are. The brand's 'Darwin' collection of animal-themed cufflinks has been a massive hit, while one-off designs such as the origami bats will look great in any cufflink collection.
3. DupontThe cufflinks of choice for James Bond himself. Dupont is known for its high-end accessories, and its cufflinks are made with a range of precious metals and semi-precious stones. They aren't cheap, but they will last a lifetime – these are the sort of cufflinks you would pass on to your kids someday.
4. BurberryIf you want to make a big style statement with your cufflinks, you need to go with a big, recognisable logo. And few brands are as instantly recognisable as Burberry check. Burberry's distinctive check cufflinks are quintessentially British, adding a subtle flourish to any suit.
5. MontblancBest known for its watches and pens, Montblanc's cufflinks combine the understated elegance and precision engineering that you would expect from this renowned Swiss brand.
6. Links of LondonLinks has built its reputation as a silversmith, and its silver oval cufflinks are one of the brand's most popular products. Customise your cufflinks with your initials, or a special date.
7. Alfred DunhillAlfred Dunhill is known for its timeless designs which often feature diamonds, sapphires and semi-precious stones. They are by no means cheap, but they are the sort of cufflinks that will last a lifetime without ever going out of fashion.
8. Alexander McQueenAlexander McQueen's sell-out range of skulls and safety pins has almost single-handedly made cufflinks cool again. Bold, young and fashion-forward, they are future collectors' items. Wear with anything from a pressed tuxedo to a chambray shirt.
9. Ted BakerWith one of the best cufflink collections on the high street, Ted Baker excels at simple, elegant designs for men who aren't in the habit of wearing cufflinks every day. The flat enamel and faceted stone Ted Baker cufflinks are particularly versatile and come in a range of colours to match any outfit.
10. MulberryLike Burberry, Mulberry's distinctive tree print logo is seen as a stamp of approval among the style set. This chic range of cufflinks is updated every season, but it’s hard to beat the original logo-engraved gold ovals and onyx-set rounds. Perfect as a gift for someone special – or yourself!