It's official – coat season is upon us. Barring some freak period of sunny weather, summer is over and we all need to update our wardrobes accordingly for autumn.
The new season coats for autumn/winter 2017 are weather-appropriate, warm and surprisingly colourful, adding a much-needed shot of brightness into the dull months of autumn and winter.
Read on for our pick of the best coats available right now...
PrettyLittleThingLongline Denim Jacket£50SHOP NOW
1. The oversized denim jacketThe 90s craze is showing no sign of abating, so get on board with an oversized denim jacket. The 2017 version comes heavily distressed and extra long, in a light blue or acid wash colour. Great for warmer days or nights out.
BoohooMegan Rubberised Rain Mac£35SHOP NOW
2. The raincoatThe humble raincoat has had a fashion update over the past few years. Forget boring black parkas and macs - raincoats now come in bold primary colours made from waterproof rubberised fabric. This yellow jacket will bring a bit of sunshine to a rainy day.
Michael KorsStud Collar Cape£395SHOP NOW
3. The cape coatCapes have been appearing up and down the catwalks this year, on dresses, jumpsuits and sweaters. So it was only a matter of time before the cape coat made a comeback. Let the silhouette speak for itself by choosing a simple cape coat in a neutral colour. This black Michael Kors cape is chic, warm and on-trend.
4. The modern trenchEvery woman should already have a classic trench in her wardrobe – but the modern trench puts a new spin on an established style. The grey hood on this Missguided trench brings it right up to date.
New LookLongline Collared Coat£35SHOP NOW
5. The longline coatA longline coat is a great trans-seasonal option. Longer than a blazer, but shorter than a duster, it is incredibly versatile. Dress it up with heels and a midi skirt, or dress down with straight leg jeans and Converse All Stars. This New Look coat comes in a range of colours, so you can choose the shade that best suits your style.
6. The checked coatHeritage check is the print of the season, and a checked coat adds a certain sophistication to any outfit. This slouchy check trench is perfect for autumn and nods to the check trend without making you look like Prince Charles.
7. The belted coatBelted coats are set to be huge this season if the latest fashion shows are anything to go by. Designers such as Louis Vuitton and Alexander McQueen sent models down the catwalks in ladylike coats with thick obi-style belts and over-the-knee boots. This Jaeger wrap coat is classic and elegant, and the tie belt can easily be swapped out for a black or brown leather belt which cinches in at the waist.
TopshopShearling Biker Jacket£79SHOP NOW
8. The shearling coatFolk is set to be a big trend for autumn 2017, and a shearling coat is one of the easiest (and cosiest) ways to get on board. This black shearling Topshop biker jacket has already been seen on all the hottest fashion bloggers and is expected to sell out soon. Look for something similarly bulky and wear with skinny jeans and a knitted beanie.