Forget any associations with the Wizard of Oz and picnic blankets. Gingham is suddenly cool. Sported by everyone from Anna Wintour to Reese Witherspoon and Victoria Beckham - gingham is known for subverting its traditional stereotypes.
From head to toe red and white checks (à la Miley Cyrus), to rockabilly gingham shirts (à la every fashionista on Instagram), gingham fashion is having a bit of a moment.
Gingham fabrics tend to be cotton-based and they are defined by their check-stripe patterning. Not entirely dissimilar to the plaid shirt trend that’s been dominating the high streets for the past decade, gingham is incredibly versatile, and can be worn with just about anything. In fact, avant garde designers such as Peter Pilotto and Henry Holland have even matched gingham with polka dots and floral prints.
So, how do you work the trend into your everyday wardrobe? Here are some of our favourite gingham items on the high street right now. Mix and match at will!
ASOSOff Shoulder Gingham Dress£25SHOP NOW
1. The gingham Bardot sundressSimple and feminine, this red and white dress combines two of the biggest trends of the year – the off-the-shoulder cut and gingham print. Go for an all-American look by wearing this dress with a blue denim jacket and white plimsolls. Or, embrace the late summer vibe by leaning into the whimsy of the dress, and adding oversized florals.
Pretty Little ThingGingham Frill Smock Top£20SHOP NOW
2. The gingham smock topA gingham smock is the Swiss army knife of any wardrobe. Office-friendly and versatile – wear it with cigarette trousers to work or with ripped jeans for cocktail hour.
Adrianna PapellGingham Check Shift Dress£40SHOP NOW
3. The gingham shift dressWho says gingham can’t be chic? The classic silhouette of this shift dress combines with the micro-checks to create an optical illusion of a dress. Yes, this is one of those magical pieces of clothing that makes you look slimmer and curvier. You don’t need any accessories to make this dress stand out, but heels are non-negotiable - and the higher, the better.
Pretty Little ThingSage Black Gingham Trousers£15SHOP NOW
4. The gingham trousersChannel vintage movie star chic with these cropped gingham trousers. All you need to add is a pair of white sneakers and a black sweater for a simple ensemble that would make Audrey proud.
Miss SelfridgeGingham Embroidered Bardot Top£21SHOP NOW
5. The gingham Bardot topPay homage to the patron saint of gingham - Brigitte Bardot, who was famously married in a pink gingham dress. This throwback shirt is flattering and stylish, with a bit of vintage charm. Pair with denim jeans and a tan.
New LookGingham Slingback Heels£13.50SHOP NOW
6. The gingham shoesIf you just want to dip a toe into gingham, look for a pair of statement heels. Popularised by the likes of Miu Miu and exclusive fashion house No. 21, gingham heels are just starting to trickle down onto the high streets. Pair these New Look slingbacks with an all black or all white ensemble and brace yourself for compliments.
Miss SelfridgeOversized Gingham Trend Coat£79SHOP NOW
7. The gingham trenchSurprisingly understated, this longline trench coat is the perfect trans-seasonal coat. Wear it to work with a button-down shirt and trousers, or wear it with dark lace for a night on the town.