Corduroy gets its name from the distinctive ridged cord pattern running vertically down the fabric. First seen in Europe in the 18th Century, it wasn't until the 1970s that popularity rocketed across the UK.
Since then it's been in and out of fashion, losing its appeal in part due to the often baggy cuts and dreary colours. However, corduroy is now reclaiming its status as fashion brands experiment with fresher colours and more tailored cuts.
Not sure how to wear corduroy without looking like your old Geography teacher? Read on for our complete guide for men on how to wear this durable fabric all year round…
- What To Wear With Corduroy Jackets
- What To Wear With Corduroy Trousers
- What To Wear With Corduroy Shirts
- What To Wear With Corduroy Blazers
- Top Tips On Wearing Corduroy
How To Wear Corduroy Jackets
Corduroy jackets are the perfect transitional layering option, making them an easy switch for classic bomber and denim jackets. Try wearing your brown corduroy jacket with blue skinny jeans and a crisp white shirt for office friendly options, or add a pair of Timberland boots on downtime days.
For more of a military feel, opt for khaki corduroy jackets and style with grey or indigo denim for multiple outfit options during the milder months.
How To Wear Corduroy Trousers
Try swapping your chinos for thicker corduroy trousers during autumn to work the trend into your wardrobe without sacrificing on comfort. Khaki green, beige and chestnut brown corduroy trousers all look great with other autumnal colours and all you need is a slim-fit trouser cut to pull off the look.
If you're looking to inject some colour into your wardrobe, look to burgundy trousers teamed up with a white tee and denim jacket for a stylish corduroy trousers outfit.
How To Wear Corduroy Shirts
Corduroy shirts no longer just come in different shades of brown and there are some really good options available across both high street and online brands. Dark red shirts work really well with an all black outfit like the look showcased above demonstrates, while orange and green corduroy shirts will complement grey denim.
For a more casual take on the trend, try layering your corduroy shirt over a plain t-shirt when it's too hot to wear a coat but you need an extra layer.
How To Wear Corduroy Blazers
Typically a favourite of teachers up and down the country, corduroy blazers are available in more cuts and colours than ever. A brown cord blazer will instantly dress up your jeans and sweater combo, while its construction keeps creases to a minimum making them perfect for travelling.
Navy corduroy blazers can offer a more contemporary take on this classic material, especially when teamed up with bright chinos such as pink. Just add a pair of vintage trainers like Adidas Gazelles to complete the look.
Our Top Tips On How To Wear Corduroy
- Swap your chinos for slim-fit corduroy trousers for a contemporary take on the trend during the colder months and avoid baggy styles at all costs.
- Short brown corduroy jackets look great worn with blue denim and are an easy wardrobe switch for traditional bomber jackets when you're wearing cords in spring.
- Due to their thicker construction, corduroy blazers are a better option than cotton or wool for travelling in as they won't show the creases. Try wearing yours with slim-fit jeans or chinos and a crew neck jumper.
- Corduroy shirts can be layered over plain tees for effortless off-duty outfits and are the perfect way to inject some texture into your wardrobe all year round.