Originally the footwear of peasants back in the 14th Century, espadrilles (AKA alpargatas) have risen in popularity ever since Sonny Crockett was seen sporting a pair in Miami Vice.
Instantly recognizable by the rope trip detailing on the flat sole and a canvas upper, they're the perfect summer slip-on shoes for guys. Not sure how to wear yours? Read on for our complete guide on how to wear espadrilles this summer and beyond…
- Wearing Men's Espadrilles With Jeans
- Wearing Men's Espadrilles With Chinos
- Wearing Men's Espadrilles With Shorts
- Top Tips On Wearing Espadrilles
How To Wear Espadrilles With Jeans
Men's espadrilles make the perfect casual alternative to loafers and look great teamed up with skinny fit jeans on downtime days. Roll up the hems of your jeans so they sit just above the ankle and add a scoop neck t-shirt to complete the look.
For more formal occasions, opt for men's smart espadrilles with leather uppers and avoid distressed denim jeans. Pair with a plain premium tee or shirt and finish the outfit with a tailored blazer for sartorial success.
How To Wear Espadrilles With Chinos
Wearing espadrilles with chinos is a smarter take on the trend, offering multiple smart casual outfit options with a quick change of top. Opt for classic beige or brown chinos worn with navy espadrilles and a white tee for a timeless look that'll see you through this summer and beyond.
Alternatively, up the style stakes and wear your espadrilles with red or navy chinos and a light blue shirt. Complete the look with a knitted tie for formal occasions and keep other accessories to a minimum.
How To Wear Espadrilles With Shorts
Espadrilles can be worn with just about any style of shorts but they look especially good with chino shorts, as the outfit above shows. Choose a slim fit cut and match the colour of your espadrilles to the short or top.
When it comes to tops, polo shirts work particularly well and just have the edge on t-shirts if you want a smart casual outfit that will see you through the majority of occasions this summer.
Our Top Tips On Wearing Espadrilles For Men
- Canvas espadrilles are the most iconic style and are perfect for off-duty outfits, while leather uppers offer a work-friendly option for this footwear classic.
- If you're wearing espadrilles with jeans, opt for a slim of skinny fit cut and roll up the hems so they sit above the ankle.
- Chinos are a smarter option over jeans to wear with espadrilles – navy espadrilles, beige chinos and a white tee or shirt should be your fallback combo.
- Espadrille shoes and chino shorts make the perfect match for both work and play. Try to match the shoes to your top or shorts for guaranteed sartorial success.